5 Houston Artists You Should Follow on Instagram
By Bri'Ann Stephens
Art is the language everyone speaks. No matter the racial, social, cultural, economic, or educational background. Art reaches beyond the boundaries. It is self expression--a way for artist to bring their inner world to the outer world. Most importantly art inspires us and encourages us to explore. Houston is filled with talented, creative artist across the city. Today I want to share with you a few women who have inspired me through their art.
1. @dmorrowart: Dawne's "Heavenly Prince" painting captured me instantly as I was scrolling through Instagram one evening. I thought her use of acrylics were very impressive on this piece, which then prompted me to check out her other work. Acrylic painting is a themed used throughout her artwork and I completely fell in love with her use of detail.
2. @BrionyaJames: "Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and He will establish your plans." Brionya James inspired me instantly after typing her URL into my browser. The scripture in the top left hand corner stuck out to me, not to overlook the fact that almost every painting on the homepage was purchased. Congrats! Brionya uses acrylics and mixed media to make her work come to life. Check out more of her work on her website www.brionyajames.com.
3. @ByDre: Dre is an artist I've been following for a couple of years now. Not only does her artwork inspire me but her passion and dedication for her craft motivates me to put the same efforts into my own. While traveling the world, she still makes time to produce quality pieces and shares them with all of us.
4. @Morgans.Masterpieces: Morgan's “Black is Beautiful” collection is extremely necessary, especially in the time we live in today. It is vital for black people to grasp the importance of their individual identity. Many of her pieces on her social media revolves around the same "Black is Beautiful" theme and I commend her boldness.
5. @TaylorLarae: I remember seeing a black and white painting of a girl with big hair, long lashes, chewing hot pink bubble gum and I wanted to find the artist immediately. Taylor Larae's piece captured me instantly and after going on her Instagram page I was happy to discover all of her paintings were on the same caliber of excellence. She is definitely an artist you all should know.